Sioux Center Approves No Increase in City Tax Rate
February 08, 2023 10:03am
The City of Sioux Center is looking at keeping the same city tax rate for the 2023-24 budget. The City Council is considering maintaining the city’s portion of the levy rate at $11.135 per $1,000 of taxable valuation. The council reviewed the general fund budget Feb. 2.
The general fund includes:
- Police, fire and ambulance services.
- Public works including streets, streetlights, airport, and snow removal.
- Culture and recreation – including parks and trails, library, rec facilities, and arts/recreation programs.
- Economic development.
- General government uses such as finance/accounting and elections.
“This is the 14th consecutive year that the tax rate has had no change or decreased. Since fiscal year 2008, the city levy rate has decreased 20.31%,” said Sioux Center Finance Director Darryl Ten Pas. “This is possible in part due to the ongoing commercial and residential growth in Sioux Center as well as ongoing cost control measures throughout our organization.”
Although the levy is staying the same, homeowners will likely see a slight increase in their city taxes because of an increase in residential rollback, which is calculated by the state.
The City’s portion of a homeowner’s property tax bill is about 33%. The remaining 67% percent goes to the Sioux Center Community School District, the county, and Northwest Iowa Community College.
Following a review of the utility budget and a public hearing on the property tax levy Feb. 20, the council will decide in March whether to approve the budget.
Additional budget highlights:
Our municipally-owned utilities are not required by law to pay property taxes, but they still make an annual contribution to the city’s general fund. In this budget the electric, gas and water utilities will contribute 5% of utility sales to the general fund.
A retention pond between Meadow Creek and Woodbridge is planned, which will allow for storm water retention and also provide a scenic addition to this area. This project is possible through a grant from the Iowa Clean Water State Revolving Fund.
Two additional officers are budgeted to continue police service for Sioux Center as it grows. Ultimately, the police department plans to work with the schools and create a School Resource Officer position for an officer that would work some of his or her hours at the school.
The budget includes a heart monitor for the response vehicle, which would better equip the first person arriving at the scene for ambulance calls.
Parks and trails
A restroom is planned for Vernon Park. Trail expansions and adding rubber mulch for accessibility at another park are also planned.
All Seasons Center
Repairing the stairs up to the indoor water slides in the All Seasons Center is included. This project is a shared cost with Dordt University.
A new street sweeper to replace the existing 10-year-old street sweeper is in the budget. The new sweeper will allow for cleaning the new design of Highway 75.
$125,000 of capital projects is planned, including replacing a storage shed, plus an additional $34,000 is allocated in the budget for ongoing Heritage Village operations.
The first phase of reconstruction of Highway 75 begins this year. The City and the Iowa Department of Transportation and sharing the costs, with the City covering utility improvements, street lights, and a portion of paving costs.
Local Option Sales Tax
About $675,000 in Local Option Sales Tax (LOST) will go into the general fund as property tax relief and $150,000 will be used for trails.
NW Iowa Mother Accused of Helping Son Flee From Custody Wants Bond Reduced
May 24, 2023 10:03am
A northwest Iowa mother, accused of helping her son flee the country after stealing 20-thousand
Sheldon Bank Robber Pleads Guilty
May 18, 2023 10:15am
A man accused of robbing a bank in Sheldon, Iowa back in 2021 has pleaded guilty. Federal
Highway 75 Detour Recommended in Light of Safety Issues in Phase 1
May 16, 2023 11:03am
The Sioux Center City Council met Monday in a regular council meeting. Council held the
Three Area Colleges and Universities Will Hold Commencement This Weekend
May 11, 2023
The three area colleges and universities will hold commencement ceremonies this
Northwestern hires new dean for graduate school & adult learning division
May 10, 2023 1:17pm
ORANGE CITY, Iowa—Northwestern College has announced the hiring of Dr. Jill Swisher as