Le Mars Family Able to Return to Home After Fire This Morning

A family was able to safely return home after a fire at their residence early this morning.

Le Mars Fire-Rescue received a report of a fire at about 2:50 this morning at a residence northeast of Le Mars. Le Mars firefighters called for assistance from Oyes and Orange City while on their way to the scene. By the time crews got to the house, the family and their pets were safely outside.

Firefighters found the fire upstairs in the attic above a bedroom. Firefighters removed the ceiling and put out the fire, then took the smoldering insulation outside and watered it down.

Officials say the fire started in the attic, and was accidental, stating the most probable cause was an electrical malfunction involving the electrical service to a ceiling fan in the upstairs bedroom.

Firefighters reported little damage in the home and an electrician was able to segregate the electrical service in the area where the fire originated. After the firefighters and the electrician were done, the family was able to return home.

No injuries were reported.

Courtesy of Media Partner KTIV