2000 Piglets Perish in Confinement Fire Near Hospers

June 04, 2021 10:43am

Fire Fighters

Five Northwest Iowa Fire Departments battled a hog confinement blaze Wednesday morning northeast of Hospers.  The structure was destroyed, and 2000 piglets inside the confinement perished.

 

Hospers Fire Chief, Jason Overmole says the call came in about 10:25 a.m.  At that time, the confinement was reported to be fully engulfed in flames.  No other buildings were at the site. 

 

By the time Hospers Fire arrived, heavy smoke and flames were seen, and the roof had partially collapsed.  The fire was moving quickly which made it unsafe to enter the structure, so firefighters fought the blaze from the outside. 

 

The cause of the fire appeared to be a heater malfunction. Someone on-scene had noticed smoke and flames around the heater at the beginning.

 

Firefighters were on the scene for about three and a half hours.  The Hospers Fire Department was assisted by the Granville, Sheldon, Archer, and Alton fire departments.