Sunday Night Attic Fire in Le Mars Extinguished

May 24, 2021 8:53am

5 23 21 Lm Attic Fire

Firefighters responded to a structure fire Sunday night in Le Mars.  According to a press release, crews were called to the scene at 8:18 P.M.

 

Fire Chief David Schipper said crews made entry and put out a fire in the attic of a residence on Plymouth Street. The release states heavy smoke was present in the attic and had to be ventilated with positive pressure fans.

 

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental; the release states electrical equipment to an air conditioning unit malfunctioned in the attic causing a fire to start in the wiring and insulation. 

 

Firefighters removed the burning insulation by hand and extinguished the insulation outside. Crews were on the scene for one hour. 

 

One man was in the home at the time of the fire. He was treated on the scene by Le Mars ambulance for smoke inhalation and released. No one else was injured.

 

Damage to the home is estimated to be $3,600.

 

Courtesy of Media Partner KTIV